Fishing Kayaks: Types, Brands & Parts – What are the best ones to buy cheap. There are many different types of fishing. In this case, we are going to talk about fishing from a kayak. It is a small boat that has been used as a means to remain in the water for centuries. If you search, you can find kayak fishermen in the Amazon or the tribes of the interior of Oceania.
Kayak fishing is carried out both in freshwater and by sea and is always in the hands of fishermen who are engaged in sports fishing. This hooks many people from the first moment that is presented in your life due to a large number of experiences that every fisherman can live practicing the “kayak fishing.”
Types of kayaks What are our options?
If you have started to be interested in fishing in this boat, the first thing you should know is the types of kayak that exist in the market. In this way, you can decide which one is the one that most catches your attention to choose the one that best suits the modality you wish to practice.
Each type of canoe has a different functionality so you must forget to have one for everything and decide, before buying it, for the activity you are going to do. We will indicate that the types that we will see below are not exclusive so that in the same model two or more of these can be included.
For a walk or a cruise
It is the typical kayak that many of us remember in some movies. The protagonists were sitting inside it with their legs covered with a skirt to prevent the entry of water. For this to have interesting features must have a width of at least 60 centimeters and a length of approximately 350 centimeters. Their forms are different, adapting our purchase to the type of water where we are going to navigate.
They are the perfect option for a long navigation route or a walk. From these boats to pedals we can observe the most beautiful details of the coastal and cliff routes. Also, as we are the ones who set the pace, you can do the activity at a speed that we decide. They also help us to go to a fishing day without having to worry about being dragged by the current or the oars and with the advantage of being able to move quickly between areas, in case it is time to try our luck.
They have incorporated, as is logical, a system of pedals, which uses the propulsion generated by the legs to propel and move through the water decreasing the resistance of this thanks to the force with which we get the boat to break the current. These pedals can be set or removed according to the decision made by the kayaker so, undoubtedly, they are an ideal option for those who make conventional use of the boat but who are encouraged, at times, to “reed” the legs.
It is a new type of kayak that serves to advance faster through the water surface. Its biggest advantage is that it does not require the use of paddles or pedaling, so the fisherman or kayaker will be more rested.
If you want to acquire, you must take into account that the engine is installed individually to gain at price, since each one will choose the engine model that most interests you. This complement is usually foldable and can be collected or introduced into the water at will as required by the situation.
This is a denomination that serves to encompass several types of the kayak, although they are usually of a self-emptying type. It is a perfect acquisition for beginners and for families who want to live a unique adventure.
There are a lot of models in the market that accommodate the needs of the small. A good choice can present a way to have fun very healthy, and that will surely last over time.
These are made of polyethylene that resists perfectly to the rays. They are very stable, and as their weight is quite small, it is also perfectly easy to transport.
There is also a model to use in the open sea. This is called whitewater kayak. In this case, the size is rather short, so that the possibility of handling it is as simple as possible. Only then will we be able to escape white water and waves by performing “acrobatics and pirouettes.” They are a little tight, and for that reason, sometimes it can seem that you are stuck because it is difficult to get out of your interior. However, this becomes necessary to face those tides.
It is one of the most unknown in the market, although for some time it was one of the most used in this sport. It is a wooden cage that is covered by a large waterproof fabric. It can be collected in a very small space and, therefore, it is ideal for those very travelers, since it is easily enclosed within a large backpack.
The bad part is that they are quite expensive. The best-known model is the Oru Kayak, which is used as a geek image for some brands. Looking to the future and re-float this model, some brands are betting on improving its design and distribution, but without losing the true essence that made it a sales leader some time ago.
This type of kayak is in the lowest position of all. With this what we want to say is that they are very simple boats that have a very elongated shape. They do not behave too well in the water, so they do not bring too good sensations to the fisherman.
Not everything is negative, because the good thing that they have is that they are quite cheap and light, so they are within reach of every fisherman and can be easily carried from one place to another. They are ideal if your budget is tighter, you have a little place to save it or if you merely need a surface with which to float to fish and move little by little.
It is also known as sit on top. It is a version very similar to the inflatable kayak. It shares with him the characteristics that it is very cheap and easily transported, due to the little weight it has. It is made of plastic material and, therefore, has enough resistance.
If you fall into the water or you have to launch for some time, you can upload again very easily. It is very useful for those people who are starting fishing from a canoe.
The worst part is that it does not prevent you from getting wet and, although it is very stable and accepts movement well on the part of the fisherman, it is not right to travel long distances. The center of gravity is too high and therefore allows you to make less force.
It is, in short, a kind of beach mattress (said badly and soon), in which some brands risk and even include pedals, which offers very good benefits.
These are to be used by couples. They carry one person in the front and another behind. It requires a lot of rapport between the pair to be able to move it in the fastest and simplest way possible, highly effective; but, it supposes more nonsense than a benefit. It is recommended that the people who use these be experts so that they have mastery of the kayak and greater control when making turns to get around other things.
As a positive part, its use is very fun, you can work with different people on each occasion, and it represents an important saving compared to if we get two individual pirogues.
Used, second hand
The fishing kayak is a basic one that has included accessories to go fishing one day. In the beginning, it is usually acquired second hand because in many cases, the fisherman who sells it has not made much use of it and has not lost value. It is a good option to learn before deciding on the model that interests you in acquiring.
Finally, indicate that there are more types. However, these are not very suitable for fishing, each one due to certain characteristics. Some are surfski, polo, Polynesian canoe or track.
Characteristics and considerations to bear in mind when choosing and buying a fishing kayak
Before choosing the type of kayak that we are going to buy, we have to take into account a series of tips to be able to buy the most convenient one. Of course, the best advice that can be given is that we must deal with a person skilled in the field.
Styles and fishing areas
The first advice is based on the type that we must select depending on the fishing mode, so if our fishing requires patience and sitting for a long time, it is necessary to choose a shorter and wider kayak.
On the contrary, if the type of fishing requires a lot of speed, it is necessary to buy a narrower and longer one, with an aerodynamic shape that breaks the current and allows us to move without resistance. It must also take into account the area in which the fishing work will be carried out since it is not the same type if we go to a place with wind, sea currents or too deep.
Nowadays, various materials are used to make one of these canoes:
On the one hand, we have wooden kayaks, which are used very little. They are usually built in an artisan way by the fisherman who will use the kayak. The type of a wood used is white cedar, okumen or ash, always placing the latter in areas that require greater strength.
The next material that can be used is fiberglass. It is very good because it is lighter and resistant to abrasion that produces water on the canoe. Also, it is very resistant against impacts and impacts of objects caused by the displacement of materials with strong currents of water. They are made by hand, like wood.
Fiberglass is usually combined with carbon fiber or kevlar. It conserves all the properties of the previous material, and to them, it adds improvements in the resistance of the shipment. To make this type of kayaks, a vacuum pump is used to join their layers. This provides the fixation of the polyester resin in a process called infusion.
They are also made of PVC, especially for models of inflatable type. The fabric has an outer layer of PVC and an inner layer of polyester. The exterior has the mission of protecting the interior of factors that cause breakage in the inner layer, which is where the inflatable mechanism is located. In some models, one more of ABS plastic is placed between the two previous layers, which gives the model much more hardness and rigidity. These are in continuous improvement since, because of their price, they are the ones that people usually acquire the most.
Another material quite used is polyethylene, which has the property of being recyclable and you only have to mix it with color pigments to achieve the design you want to obtain. The qualities of this material are very diverse since they can have low, medium, high or ultra density, an aspect that will have importance in the resistance, the hardness, the durability …
- To determine the si,ze we must know several concepts:
- Sleeve (the more sleeve you have, the greater the feeling of stability)
- Length (the more length you have, the faster you can reach)
At the level of weight and maximum load, you should look for a good relationship, always taking into account the accessories that are intended to be loaded, such as the fishing tube, video camera, rods, anchor, refrigerator, GPS … This, in turn, will be determined by the type of fishing to be carried out, the duration of the days, etc.
This is directly related to the needs that each fisherman considers important, so it is impossible to say that one model is better than another.
It is necessary to consider that a space that must always be reserved is that where we will place the transmitter, the plotters for the positioning of the GPS, the base for the camera and the fishing probe, accompanied by its transducer.
Optionally, compartments can be requested to place utensils or baits in them. You can also include a rudder, which in some is already included and in others should be placed afterward, so you should have the option.
Brand and manufacturer
Many of the fishermen are those who design their kayak depending on the needs they have. But, if you do not have the necessary time for it, then I present the main brands available in our country.
- Bic: The brand of pens always produces auto variables; curious.
- Dagger: Closed plastic kayak brand for expert fishermen.
- Fun Run: quintessential brand of kayaks for the sea.
- Hobie: Brand of original pedals.
- Jackson: Firm that makes kayaks for use in whitewater.
- Necky Kayaks: Brand that has been on the market for many years and that manufactures these boats for all kinds of uses, covering a very large part of the sector.
- Oru Kayak: Leading firm in making canoes that can be folded and fit in a suitcase.
- Perception: American brand that makes kayaks in plastic.
- Qajaq: Italian brand that makes them in fiber, high performance, to be able to use them especially at sea.
- Rainbow: Build closed plastic kayaks. It is one of the best known in Spain.
- Venture kayak: This makes kayaks closed in
- Pelican: It is a specialist brand in plastic recreational.
- Tide Race: They make boats of this type to use at sea with very high performance and made of composite material.
- Nelo: Make competition products, which can be used both in calm waters and in the sea. They are made in composite, and each buyer can customize their model.
- Cuby Kayak: They make models with an innovative design since it is divided into foam modules that can be carried anywhere.
The price of the different models of kayak goes according to the characteristics, materials, and accessories that it brings, as it happens with any other product. Luckily, today, you can find them for all kinds of pockets. Its price is from 200 euros forward. There may be more expensive models, but you should pay attention to the fact that there is a good price-quality ratio, which is much more important than the final figure.
Main parts of the kayak
Knowing the parts of the kayak will serve to consider how your design should be in general and what parts will be determinant for our activity. When you are in the store or read descriptions, consider these:
- Grip handle: Tubular, plastic for transfer of the boat. Especially with wet hands or in cold areas.
- Bow and stern warehouses: Destined to store the load. Here a correct weight distribution is important. The heaviest should go down and as close as possible to the center of the kayak. You can load almost 100 kg of equipment, plus the crew.
- Front hatch cover: Blocks access to the hold, must be tight and is usually double.
- A base of accommodation of the compass: allows easy reading of the compass from the seat. Current kayaks do not include it anymore.
- Navigation compass: Essential for navigation in open water and the sea, or in conditions of reduced visibility (fog, rain, snow). Also for night navigation or unknown areas
- Cover: Of the more voluminous and high design, warped or curved. Allows rapid runoff of water in the bow. The lower stern counteracts the weather vane effect caused by the lateral winds and decreases the drift.
- Internal fastening system: Inside the cockpit and on the rower’s legs, made of a thin shock cord, it allows to carry protected the elements that we must carry by hand.
- Legguards: Coated in closed cell material (does not absorb water, is padded and warm) Allow firm control of the kayak in rough waters and are essential for the practice of roll.
- Adjustable backrest: Can be flexible or rigid. It is adjusted to the choice of the paddler and does not interfere with paddling or roll.
- Bilge pump: Destined to evacuate water from your kayak or that of a partner. Currently, it has fallen into disuse, but it is common to see it in some old kayaks.
- Stern aft deck : wider than the bow, tight and generally double
- Additional cover : You can attach more covers to facilitate access to the warehouse. Currently it is not used.
- Rudder system : Optional. It helps when there are lateral winds or with stern waves. Reduces the tiredness of the paddler by the constant corrections with the paddle. It can be refuted when it is not necessary.
- Stern : in soft “V” released, keeping the volume out of the water, with better control with lateral winds and rolling in moved waters.
- FRP external seal: In addition to protecting, it helps the inner joint, sealing hermetically.
- Catamaran coupling system : It allows joining two kayaks to form a more stable unit. This accessory has fallen into disuse although it is often seen in older or very seaworthy kayaks.
- Thimbles : They allow the passage of the lines and elastic of cover with internal reinforcements of stainless steel.
- Interior dividing partitions : Separate the forward hold, the cockpit and the aft cabin. They convert each space into watertight compartments. They are made of GRP and must have a minimum flexibility to accompany the work of the helmet.
- Case section : Elliptical shape with large radius. It has good initial stability with excellent sliding conditions and good cruising speed.
- Cockpit : wide enough to allow easy entry and exit, also allowing the work of the legs.
- Adjustable seat : Located inside the cockpit. It can be adjusted according to the stature of the kayaker. In case of using rudder, it also serves as a pedalboard for its control.
- External clamping system : Made with 4 mm elastic cape. Intended to hold what we need on deck as the maps in use. Everything that goes in this place is subject to being wet.
- Cover lines : 6 mm polypropylene ropes. Used to move the kayak and grasp when it is in the water.
- Bow : In soft “V” thrown adding volume out of the water to improve the navigation in moved waters. It provides more support, facilitates maneuverability and helps in approaching beaches.
Other meanings and parts of a kayak:
- Tambucho: It is a forward compartment with which buoyancy is achieved by being watertight and which, in the case of fishermen, is great for serving as a storage
- Timon (and command): Only interested if you get a motorized canoe.
- The line of life: It is a rope that will act as a support and help when we are in the water, serving as a support.
- Bow: It is the front zone. Important in that it determines the speed of the device and its behavior in general.
- Bathtub: Essential that fits our measurements as it is counterproductive whether it is too wide or too narrow.
- Keel: Submerged rear area whose shape determines how we turn and maintain the course.
- Helmet: Bottom of the boat. The shape determines the behavior of the kayak.
- Pedals: Make sure, if you go to pedals, that the closure fits your foot.
- Shooter: With him, we stretch the boat to move it.
- Cover network: It is what will allow us to keep some of our belongings safe and at hand, very close to the seat.